Why I Quit Drinking

Alcohol has been with the human race for thousands of years. As a matter of fact, it goes all the way back to Neolithic man. That's a long history, indeed. We had alcohol before the Iron Age.

Over the course of those eons, man has had a very complicated relationship with alcohol. Some handle it responsibly, others, not so much. Some don't drink at all.

For me, there are a multitude of reasons why I stopped. I'm going to slightly over-simplify, but hopefully you will get the gist.

There is a history of alcoholism in my family. My grandmother's relationship with it was more important to her than her relationship with family. Truthfully, I believe it's what killed her. If that's not reason enough, there's more.

I like to have control over my thoughts and my actions. I don't like anyone telling me what to do or how to think. For me, alcohol has that effect. When I drink it, it tells me that I want more. As I progress, the alcohol does more talking for me - not just in my own head, but out my mouth as well. That's not exactly a result that I want. I try to be compassionate and logical in my daily life, but those things can sometimes go right out the window when I drink.

I quit drinking because I would like to make conscious choices in my life. I don't want alcohol or it's after-effects dictating what I will or will not do - for example, the ability to drive my car, or the necessity of taking another drug to combat the pounding head on the morning after.

I quit drinking because my relationship with my husband is important to me. The fleeting, temporary "happiness" that comes at one stage of drinking pales in comparison to the long-term, lifetime of happiness that I can have with my spouse. It can also ruin relationships with other family and friends.

I quit drinking because my health is important to me. Yes, there can be benefits from drinking a glass of wine on occasion. However, my genetic predisposition tells me that instead of one glass, I should drink two bottles. Yes, I can stop after one drink, but it is an act of strong will and I really don't want to stop. My body tells me that I don't want to. Because of another genetic predisposition to developing diabetes, and since alcohol is converted into sugar, it would be stupid for me to play Russian Roulette and run the risk of creating a disease that I can prevent. There are other long-term effects of alcohol use (even in moderation), but I will not insult your intelligence by listing them here. You can do your own research.

Suffice to say, from a minimalistic standpoint, alcohol is not a necessity. It brings no lasting value to life. It is something to be consumed, and unfortunately, quickly.

These are simply my opinions on the matter. However, if you are searching for contentment and a fulfilling life, I would definitely encourage you to closely and ruthlessly examine your relationship to alcohol.

Oh. One more thing - I'm also frugal (my husband would say, "A cheapskate") and alcohol is expensive! Why would I buy alcohol when I can buy another musical instrument, or another tank of gas for my bike?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yes. I Am. Positively Speaking.

Of Mountains and Spirit

I've Been Rejected by 80+ Jobs