Somehow, Somewhere, I Lost My Focus.

It was gradual. So gradual that I didn’t notice. It happened the same way that my eyesight changed. One day, everything was crystal clear. Time progressed. My arms became too short. There wasn’t enough light. The print was too small.


In a world of followers, subscribers, kings, queens, creators, artists, influencers, personalities, and pseudo-celebrities, there’s no room for the undistinguished. Elitism and pretension abounds. There’s nowhere left for the commonplace, the prosaic, the lowly. 


In order to be seen as successful, a person needs to be “somebody.” In order to have value, they must be efficacious, meaningful, moving, significant. The “nobodies” are abrogated, invalidated, neutralized, annihilated… rendered worthless and meaningless.


But nobility and influence cannot be declared, or taken. Celebrity cannot be purchased. These things must be given, and they only exist through the generous grant of attention. Without consideration and acknowledgment from the commoner, royalty and notoriety cease to exist.


To recapture my focus, I have hidden myself back in the world of the mundane, the ordinary. I seek to rediscover what it means to be human. I search for the winsomeness of the humble and unembellished. The simple.


It is in these things that I am reminded that my focus only ever should be on where my feet land, and where they will tread immediately next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Mountains and Spirit

Yes. I Am. Positively Speaking.

I've Been Rejected by 80+ Jobs